Does solving the problem of traffic in cities seem impossible? Does it seem like too big a challenge to offer convenient, environmentally-friendly solutions for public transport? Electric car sharing is the answer!
Esprit electric car sharing
ESPRIT is aiming high and its research team really seems to have all the cards in hand to win the bet in terms of sustainable mobility. When we unravel the acronym of this European project, it is easy to see that the goal is to offer environmentally-friendly, convenient and easy to use transport: Easily Distributed Personal Rapid Transit is a new electric car sharing system. Big cities like Glasgow, Lisbon, Toulouse, Lyon, Barcelona and many others have already put their faith in it. We can only hope that Italy also follows their example.
Now more than ever, making public transport electric is a subject that’s frequently in the news and is sure to attract an increasing amount of attention. In fact, it is now clear that the future of our towns, whether they are big or small, depends on sustainable mobility systems that are good for the environment yet also practical and cost-effective. The ESPRIT electric vehicle equipped with Flash Battery technology offers a real chance to overcome the challenges facing our cities.
The original feature of this sustainable mobility project
ESPRIT researchers have developed a light, silent electric vehicle that can be linked together into a road train. Thanks to this feature, ESPRIT vehicles can be towed along and parked together, if necessary, so they take up less space when charging: you can charge the battery in 8 vehicles with just one single charging station.
ESPRIT is the first car sharing system that aims to encourage people to use public transport by offering a real, affordable alternative to using their car. The goal is to reduce noise and air pollution in our towns and to improve traffic conditions, offering easier mobility solutions even in areas with poor public transport links.
The project has been fully funded by the European Commission as part of the H2020 Green Vehicle programme and is run by the INEA agency.
Flash Battery for electric car sharing
But what is Flash Battery’s role in this project? Flash Battery is providing its know-how in the production of six specifically developed battery packs. These particularly efficient high-voltage (300V) lithium battery packs run the communication system with the main vehicle control units and ensure they run properly.
The ESPRIT electric vehicle and the innovation of car sharing
The fleet of ESPRIT electric vehicles for sustainable mobility features the following innovations:
- These 4-wheel light vehicles are approved for 3 people to meet all family transport needs (carrying shopping bags, children, etc);
- the charging system is extremely fast (5 minutes for charging to 80% capacity);
- a free floating system, combined with the installation of numerous charging stations, allows for intensive yet efficient use of electric vehicles;
- the vehicle coupling system, together with a dynamic payment method offering incentives for repositioning the vehicle, dramatically reduces the cost of running the service;
- parking spaces at charging stations can be much smaller, thanks to the ability to link up to 8 vehicles together (road-train);
- balancing battery packs for different vehicles ensures better fleet management, with electric vehicles always ready for use.
To prove the project’s sustainability, ESPRIT has used modelling and simulation tools to predict their conditions of use and their economic, social and environmental benefits, as well as the key operating strategies that will have to be implemented. Two pilot demonstrations for the project will also be held in Glasgow and Lyon.
Are you interested in this innovative electric car sharing system? Visit the project website http://www.esprit-transport-system.eu