Why change from a lead-acid battery to a lithium battery?
This question is certainly the most frequently asked and is the first of a long list. I could write an entire book on the answer, but wouldn’t have enough space or know how much time you’d have to read it, so I suggest we just examine the solution straight away.
Charging the battery
Weight of battery
Lead acid battery: high maintenance and systems costs. Ordinary maintenance is one of the greatest costs, as it includes topping up the water, maintaining the filling system, and removing oxide from the elements and terminals.
It would be a serious mistake not to take into consideration 3 other, hidden costs:
- Infrastructure cost: lead-acid batteries release gas while they are charging and must therefore be charged in a dedicated area. What is the cost of this space, which could be used for other purposes?
- Cost of gas disposal: the gas released by lead-acid batteries must not remain inside the charging area. It must be removed to the outside by special ventilation systems.
- Cost of water demineralisation: in smaller companies, this cost can be included in ordinary maintenance, but becomes a separate expense for medium to large companies. Demineralisation is a necessary treatment for water used to top-up lead-acid batteries.
Lithium ion battery: no infrastructure cost, no gas and no need for water, which eliminates all additional costs. The battery just works.
Safety, waterproofing and emissions
Lead acid batteries have no safety devices, are not sealed, and release hydrogen during charging. In fact, their use in the food industry is not permitted (except for “gel” versions, which are even less efficient).
Lithium batteries release no emissions, are suitable for all applications (also available in IP67) and feature 3 different control systems that protect the battery:
1. Automatic disconnection, which disconnects the battery when the machine/vehicle is idle and protects the battery from improper use by the customer
2. Balancing and management system which maximizes battery efficiency
3. Remote control system with automatic warning of troubles and malfunctions
This is just one of the many questions that our customers ask during our consulting service. Having the answer ready means saving valuable time that can be used for designing and producing batteries.
THE MOST SOLD LITHIUM BATTERIES
FLASH BATTERY produces lithium batteries for industrial machines and electric vehicles.